Friday 25 March 2011

The benefits of the shifts from Hell

Whatever the delights of the shift patterns on offer at work... I always try and find some enjoyment from doing them. They always allow for some time in the field. Not really worked the dreaded late shifts for a few years now but several times a week I'll be whizzing around the East Yorkshire countryside in the small hours.

Two tours this week turned up Badger, first one I've seen live since the last time I was on prolonged shifts of doom a few years back. Plenty of deer have been encountered in the headlights and numerous Barn Owls and Tawny Owls have made the drive more interesting. Add this little lot to seeing Red Kites and Buzzards daily, Goshawk was on the wing at one of the well known sites in the week per Neil Hart, Brimstone and Small Tortoiseshell butterflies then I don't actually have to go birding with my bins to enjoy life.

Also lots of moths on the wing, rather hard to ID at 60mph!!! Shame there is a chill in the air tonight, will deplete the moths coming to light at Tophill Low NR as I type! Though it is cloudy, so we'll have to see in the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment