Monday 11 April 2011

Other than the Purple Heron

Moving on from the much-appreciated Purple Heron enjoyed by many on Sunday at Tophill Low NR prior to doing it's vanishing act, I took the opportunity to enjoy the sun and play with the camera. I did bother with the Purple Heron... easily viewable on North Lagoon over the hedge for someone my height!

Slightly more showy later-afternoon that the Heron was this elusive Water Rail.



Popping in before leaving and heading north, up to 3 Pink-footed Geese were present over the weekend.



While this Willow Warbler was one of many summer arrivals singing and showing well in the afternoon sunshine.



Unfortunately, I missed the late-afternoon Common Crane but I decided to stop back until late and take in the wagtail roost at the south end. Three Yellow Wagtails the highlight and 33+ Pied Wagtails roosted. I'm still yet to see a Wagtail showing characteristics of Motacilla alba alba this spring despite a few being mooted to be around - everything I've seen so far is M. a. yarrellii. Maybe it's my eyes, or maybe I might see more than a few in the next few weeks.

Also around was a Greenshank flying up and down the site most of the afternoon and 2+ Buzzards were rather showy for most of the time I was there.

No comments:

Post a Comment