Tuesday 14 September 2010

Fungi identifications cause lots of head scratching

More pictures from the weekend fungi finding. These ones taken along the footpaths that cross the centre of Houghton Moor.

As ever when unsure, I'm naming these as possibles and probables!



Possible Common Earthball

Here we have what looks like probable Fly Agaric - note it has lost the scales on the cap, but the skirt on the stem suggests it is an Amanita species.




Slime molds will probably never be my strong point, but this looks like it could possibly be Fuligo septica.



And then I have these probable bolete species that I'm struggling to get my head around... and going to forgot about until I return to the field as I have to revise other things.




Any thoughts and helpful comments welcome.

2 comments:

  1. I would think it is Scleroderma citrinum Common Earthball though a bit distorted from usual profile. It is a washed out Amanita muscaria Fly Agaric. (Amanitas should always be dug out completely to expose the volva at stem base to be sure of a correct ID, the ring alone may not be enough). The greyish bolete may be Leccinum scabrum but the stem isn't very clear here. Was it with birch? The bottom orangy-brown bolete may be Suillus variegatus. Was it with conifers?
    It is always important to say if possible what the fungi are growing on or with or in. You can sometimes work out an ID from that as pictures often aren't enough even if they are very good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Howard.

    Many thanks for your constructive comments to the fungi pictures. The image you suggest may be Leccinum scabrum was under pine, though it is a mixed woodland and not overly far from some of the many birchs. The second image you suggest may be Suillus variegatus was in grass, again between stands of birch and pine along the main footpath. I'm learning very quickly that the habitat surrounding each specimen is very useful in trying to get to identification. I'm pleased my thoughts on Common Earthball were correct. Your comments, and any others you wish to contribute, are very much appreciated.

    Martin

    ReplyDelete