Saturday 31 December 2011

Gulls glorious gulls...

So the final days of the year have seen me spending way to much time scanning the gull roost at Tophill Low NR, East Yorkshire. However, other than a 1st winter Mediterranean Gull that has appeared on the 27th, 30th and tonight, it has been a case of plenty of gulls, just nothing special among them!

So the final Med of 2011...cracking record shot!!!


I guess I've spent way too much time going through the gulls at Tophill since August, but...

20+ different Mediterranean Gulls (a couple of others may well add to the total, and who knows what got missed in October!!!)
6 Yellow-legged Gulls
2 Caspian Gulls (pending acceptance once I submit descriptions)
2 Glaucous Gulls
1 Little Gull (a rarer bird after late-summer)

So not a bad little haul, and I shouldn't really forget the early part of the winter - the Iceland Gull, and the Glaucous Gull that appeared one evening which I missed, the good numbers of Little Gulls in the summer... I can't really believe I considered retiring from the gull spotting hobby!!! Perhaps the best Larid year in Tophill's history...

No comments:

Post a Comment